You know the challenges that we face in Greenwood County. People of all ages and backgrounds are struggling to reach their full potential. More and more children face seemingly insurmountable learning gaps. Families find it difficult to spend quality time together. People are not connected to their neighbors and face time happens through a phone. And instead of seeing the income gap shrink, it seems all we do is watch it grow.
But when challenges arise, the Y – and donors like you – steps in. After 60 years of serving Greenwood County, the Y understands what our community needs to be its best. Working with our partners and generous donors like you, the Y provides everyone the opportunity to be healthy and thrive, to connect with others, and contribute to a better community.
Everything the Y does is in service of making us – as individuals and a community – better.
Here are a few examples how we make Greenwood better:
Nurturing the potential of every child & teen
• 1200 children will discover their love for basketball, soccer, baseball, volleyball and/or flag football.
• 375 children will be smarter, happier and healthier by their participating at one of our 5 afterschool program sites.
• More than 1100 students from Greenwood, Ninety Six and Ware Shoals will learn water safety skills and how to be safe around the water through YMCA SPLASH.
FOR HEALTHY LIVING
Improving Greenwood’s health and well-being
• More than 10,000 children, adults and seniors will pursue a healthy lifestyle through YMCA Membership this year.
• $41,000 in membership assistance will be awarded through our Open Doors Program for those seeking access to a healthier lifestyle.
• Our new community based YMCA Diabetes Prevention Programming will begin in 2017.
FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Giving back & providing support to our neighbors
• Our “Go for Green” Program will teach over 100 high risk children how to swim through our curriculum based swim lessons.
• More than 2300 will be served through the Y’s Outreach Programs and membership/program financial assistance.
• Over 1700 hours of volunteer hours will be served through Y Youth Sports.